On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 07:16, Massimiliano Mirra wrote:
> It seems that quite a few of us have been experimenting with interface
> abstraction by using standard tools only.
>
> I wonder if there is merit in the idea of joining minds and creating a
> proof-of-concept application that uses the best of what we've learnt.
>
> In the worst case a fine tuned skeleton could be produced that people
> would be able to use as a guideline; in the best case a design pattern
> could be isolated and then required at will, like observer.rb or
> forwardable.rb.

Massimiliano (and all other interested parties):

i believe you have a plan. and i would love to host that endeavor.

i'm curious to know how you see the design pattern being different from
the model-view-controller pattern. a higher level meta-pattern on top of
mvc? i guess we'll find out.

anyway, i think your idea is a must-do.

which brings me to GUtopIa. i want to let you know that the GUI project
i've been talking about has gotten under way. go to

  http://www.rubygui.org.

i've also set up a savannah account to host the development cvs and
mailing lists, etc. i set up two mailing lists which should be ready
later this evening: gutopia-dev and gutopia-user. we could use one or
the other to host this initial disscusion (preferably gutopia-dev, but
participants would have to sign up as gutopia developers.) (NOTE: I HAVE
TO THANK CURT HIBBS FOR ALL THIS! THANKS CURT!)

you can see an example of my initial work on the site. and there is
source available at the savannah site. i feel i have done pretty well at
refining the gui "code pattern" but i am still not 100% satisfied with
it on a few points. and who knows perhaps there's a much better way too!
(Be aware that while i have laid-out a fairly good appraoch of beginning
with a back-end GUI that is already available for Ruby and migrating to
a more capable one, all is still very much subject to change and open to
suggestion.)

i would think the best approach to this discussion would be to announce
the upcoming discussion with a prior call for submissions of related
materials --simple "white-papers" and/or code samples to act as a bases
for the discussion.

if this sounds good to you let me know, (and all other interested
parties) and i will proceed.

~transami