On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 schneik / us.ibm.com wrote:

> > I'm running Linux with SuSE 6.2. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I can't help you but others might have a better chance if you told them
> the actual error message, the version of Ruby and how/where it was
> built/installed, and likewise for Tcl/Tk,

Here's the extra detail you asked for...

Ruby 1.4.5, built from source and installed to /usr/local. Tcl/Tk 8.0.

The sequence of events I use to install Ruby are:

  tar zxvf ruby-1.4.5.tar.gz
  cd ruby-1.4.5
  ./configure
  make
  make install

If I run it at this point, I get:

steve@milla:~/ruby/ruby-1.4.5/ext/tk/sample > ruby tkhello.rb
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.4/tk.rb:7:in `require': No such file to load -- tcltklib (LoadError)
	from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.4/tk.rb:7

If I edit ext/Setup, uncomment tkutil and tcltklib, and recompile, I get the
same error. It doesn't appear to be compiling tcltklib at all. If I then go
into the ext directory and directly compile and install the module, then it
complains about not being able to find tk.h (which is in /usr/X11R6/include).

The situation is complicated by having 3 versions of Tcl/Tk on my system, so
I think I might just wipe my system and re-install. I just wanted to verify
that it wasn't a common problem.

Thanks for the help.

--
  steve / deaf.org