On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> By the way, what are the required I18N features to satisfy you?
> Enlighten me.

Me? Not so much, actually. I need to be able to read in ISO-8859-1,
ISO-2022-JP, EUC-JP, Shift_JIS and UTF-8, convert them to a common
internal format so I don't have to worry about where the data I am
manipulating came from, and do the various conversions again for output.
And use your basic regexps and such as well, on the internal format.
The internal format should treat a character as a single character,
regardless of whether it's represented by one, two or more bytes in any
particular encoding.

I'll probably need to convert to/from various Chinese and/or Korean
character sets at some point in the future, but I don't need that right
now.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs / cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org