----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Freeze" <jim / freeze.org>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: Style question

> But after using Ruby for a year, seeing that in C/C++
> doesn't bother me as much. (In fact, the brace on the first
> line is a coding standard for the bsd kernel, so I guess
> it must not be all that bad. :)

And Niklaus Wirth used to do it in Pascal (which
he invented). I just never cared for it. I like
to see things match vertically.

> Also, this style has never bothered me in Ruby. I'm not sure why.

Likewise. I think it's because Ruby *forces* you
to do it that way, which could be an annoyance if
you don't like it; but Ruby has sooo many features
that compensate for that.

For an analogy: Suppose knuckle-cracking annoys
you. If Roseanne Barr sat in your living room
cracking her knuckles, you'd be highly annoyed.
But if Kate Moss did it, you wouldn't mind so much.

Hal