Hello --

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Jani Alanko wrote:

> Subject is not exactly right but I was too lazy to invent something that
> makes more sense. :)
>
> I am not programmer at all (yet) and not familiar with Ruby (yet), but there
> is this one idea that I have been toying with for some while in my mind.
>
> Has anybody ever thought of writing and editor that contains Ruby
> interpreter? Some sort of Emacs of the Ruby land?
>
> I have been thinking this ever since I tried to use Xemacs and looked into
> one of those lisp files. Some people say that Emacs is greatest program ever
> written and perhaps the only program you have to start all day. Well, could
> be but I saw nothing but a big pile of messy lisp code.
>
> What do you think?

If you hate Emacs, I have to wonder why you're interested in
re-creating it in Ruby... but anyway... :-)

There was one flurry of discussion about this, which you can find
starting at <http://www.ruby-talk.org/blade/6707>.  I'm afraid I
played the role at that time of sort of pouring cold water on the
idea, for reasons that I *think* I would still agree with though I'm
mildly surprised at how convinced I was of my own argument :-)

David

--
David Alan Black
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net