----- Original Message -----
From: "Ned Konz" <ned / bike-nomad.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: ActiveRubyScript and RubyAEOSA

> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 03:22 pm,  JamesBritt wrote:
> > I've written a fair amount of VBA code for Word, and would love to
> > be able to use Ruby instead of a Visual Basic variant.
>
> Well, there's Win32OLE:
>
> http://homepage1.nifty.com/markey/ruby/win32ole/index_e.html
>
> It looks like a translated version of the Perl module with a similar
> name.
>
> The example given there is an Excel one:
>
> require 'win32ole'

[snip]

What you say is true, Ned. But if I am not
mistaken, what he wants to do is the "inside
out" version of that -- i.e., he wants to
write code that runs within Word, not code
that runs externally and manipulates Word.

This other case can be handled (I think) by
ActiveScriptRuby.

By analogy, you can write a Ruby program that
will manipulate IE, (by browsing to a specific
page, for instance). But to get IE to understand
Ruby (as it understands Javascript), it takes
ASR.

But if I'm mistaken in what he means: Then
Win32OLE should be fine (or even RubyCOM by
Ralph Mason, which I've used before).

Hal