> Having said that it "is" Ruby, there may be differences
> I'm not aware of.
>
> How important? Only if 1) you're using Windows and 2) you
> want to use an embedded Ruby interpreter. And then there
> might be other ways.

You can write IIS ASP websites in ActiveScriptRuby

> But I think I see what you are saying. You want
> apps to expose an interface the way Windows apps
> expose a COM interface, or something, right? Or
> am I misunderstanding?
>
> Well, I have often wished for a COM equivalent in
> the Unix world. It would only be useful if there
> were one universal standard, I think. My knowledge
> of this particular area is limited, though, so I
> can't address it much.
>
> But please, let's generate some discussion on this.

I, too, would be interested in knowing what sort of app scripting is
available on Unix.  Do KDE or Gnome provide ways to expose automation
interfaces?  Can I write a Ruby app to instantiate and manipulate an
instance of OpenOffice, as I can have it so with Microsoft Word?

You can use ActiveScriptRuby to create stand-alone, browser-based GUIs using
IE.  Is such a thing possible with Mozilla/Netscape/Opera?

James