On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 01:44:50AM +0900, Michael Campbell wrote:
> I'm not sure this is relevant, but the gnu c++ compiler allows a
> number of things that "normal" c++ does not; how do they handle that?

In the case of C++, there is a C++ standard and a committee who composed
that standard.

There's also no compiler in existence that is 100% compliant with that
standard.  As a result, most of us either rely on the language features
that the greatest number of compilers support or just write for a
specific compiler.

Sometimes, there are extra features a compiler supports that come in
handy (g++, for example, supports the typeof operator).  Some of these
features, if they are useful enough, often have a pretty good chance of
making their way into the standard.

Paul