Aleksi Niemel? <aleksi.niemela / cinnober.com> writes:

> Dave Thomas answered:
>
> > > Out of curiosity, what is their threshold of large?
> >
> > John Carter was asking about 2+ man-years.
> This example is purely made up, as I haven't had any chance to develop same
> thing concurrently in two different languages. So the numbers or
> multiplication factors are not *really* the powers of two (maybe not even in
> this order), but I guess my point shines better because of the use of the
> quite familiar number sequence.

Agreed, but I think the question is still valid. What he's asking for
are examples of large projects. As well as the actual code (which will
clearly be produced more quickly and concisely in Ruby) there are
related an important factors associated with larger projects. Is it
possible to manage Ruby source code over that period of time? Can
multiple people work on a Ruby project successfully? Can Ruby stuff be
packaged for delivery? Is the compiler robust when faced with a large
body of code, or do we see (for example) the GC performance
degradations that you saw?

So, as they say, size isn't everything; it's how you use it too.

I think that was the intent behind the original question.

Regards

Dave