Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, lyle / knology.net wrote:

> It seems that FXDataTargets are not quite the same as Tcl's linking of
> variables to widgets -- it is necessary to extract the value from the
> FXDataTarget with a .value call.  I note this here for those who
> follow, it is not intended as  a perjorative remark about your
> description!

Ummm... you also have to call TkVariable#value to extract a Tk
Variable's value. In both cases the object (FXDataTarget or TkVariable
instance) wraps around some other object that actually has the value of
interest. FXDataTarget builds on TkVariable a bit in that it can store
strings, integers or floats, whereas Tk's Variable only stores strings.
  Could you give me an example of what you're talking about, i.e. a case
where you can use a TkVariable in place of TkVariable#value? Maybe
they're doing some magic I'm not familiar with ;)

> The serious thing that tripped me up near the end was the
> application.create call, which I thought would be implicit in the show
> or the run call.  I don't know what it does exactly, so I don't
> understand why it needs to be a separate call.
>
> Also, application.init insists on taking an argument.  If I'm not using
> ARGV to pass the data this is not really what I want.  I have not tried
> leaving this call out since the code worked.
>
> If these reflect aspects of the C++ API, may I suggest that you either
> document their purpose in the Ruby API, or allow them to be assimilated
> into soemthing more Rubyesque, because at the moment we have calls to
> application.new, application.init and application.create.

OK, I'll consider some ways to simplify the startup code.

Thanks,

Lyle