> I've lately been sweating the question of Python vs. Ruby for
> our shop.  I've read several books, and IMHO I like Ruby as a
> language better than Python for several reasons [1].  However,
> I'm concerned over the maturity of Ruby-related tools and support.
> particularly for a few key needs we will be having:
>
> - We need to script C++ apps, and eventually Java apps as well.

SWIG (http://www.swig.org) is a tool designed specifically to assist in
developing scripting languages interfaces to C/C++ code, and supports a
number of higher-level languages (including Perl, Python and Ruby).
There were limitations in some very early versions of the Ruby module
for SWIG, but the latest releases are very strong and include support
for a wide variety of C++ language features.