On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 07:12, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Tom, I agree with Wayne here -- I would encourage you to take another look
> at wxWindows. When the FreeRIDE project did its GUI search, wxWindows may
> very well have been our GUI toolkit of choice (it met all of our feature
> requirements), if only it had Ruby bindings.
>
> Curt

i looked it over and i agree it looks pretty good. i don't know why i
get a sort "stale" feeling from it though. but that may just be me. i
suppose perhaps that ClanLib is just more exciting becasue it has a lot
of additional capabilities related to game design, including vorbis
support. so its a trade-off. we can get a basic gui, with
native-interfacing and thus less work, using wxWindows, or a load of
extra features, but with more work to get native look&feel, with
ClanLib.

perhaps there's room for both? currently i've bindined GUtopIa to FXRuby
just to have something to actually visualize. its working pretty well.
but either way we will have only a single "meta"-api that the developer
need worry about.

when the wiki's up i'll put up a comparison chart.

--
~transami