Tom Sawyer wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 08:39, Steve Tuckner wrote:
> > What about WX-Windows. There is no ruby bindings for it, but
> would that fit
> > the bill?
>
> hi steve,
>
> wxWindows is a good gui tookit, no doubt. but this clip from its webpage
> makes it unsuitable for out purposes:
>
> "wxWindows is not a translator from one GUI from another; it cannot take
> a Motif application and generate a Windows application, for example. You
> need to learn a new API. However, the wxWindows API has been praised for
> its intuitiveness and simplicity, and can be far easier to learn and use
> than a native GUI API such as Motif or Windows. Porting from MFC is
> particularly easy due to its similarity: one user has ported his CASE
> tool from MFC to wxWindows in a couple of weeks."
>
> we require something common, i.e one api for all platforms. the Rouge
> project sought to do this by translating to native guis where possible,
> allowing for extension in the other cases. this translation is a
> duanting task, if even reasonably possible. i purpose instead the use of
> a themeable gui engine that can thus mimic the look and feel of the
> native guis. this is a much more doable endeavor.

I cannot claim that I have done a detailed analysis, but I wouldn't assume
that the work needed to mimic a look-and-feel is less work than using native
widgets and filling in missing functionality. The graphics side (themes) is
straighforward, but only one part. There is still the behavior side to
consider (which is also a significant amount of work).

Anyway, I'm not saying I know the answer, only that it should be considered
before jumping to any conclusions.

> thanks for the suggestion though. i wish wxWindows could do the job. but
> alas it cannot. did you have a chance to look at ClanLib. it is my hope
> that this library will be suitable. i've studied in for awhile and it
> looks quite promising.

I looked briefly at ClanLib (not enough to give you any real feedback), but
I do have some concerns about font handling and internationalization.
ClanLib seems to implement its own font handling that is completely
disconnected from the underlying system, and their does not appear to be any
consideration for internationalization.

Curt