Hi:

I am trying to define an install of ruby in an envirionment
where the site dir may not be existant at the time of install.
(The sitedir is managed through a separate method than the install.)

For example, here is an 'ideal' setup:

  cd ruby-1.x.x
  ./configure --prefix=<set_by_sysadmin> --with-sitedir=/dev/null
  make && make install

But, that does not work. The make install complains with
 `mkdir': File exists - "/dev/null" (Errno::EEXIST)

So, another solution might be:

  cd ruby-1.x.x
  ./configure --prefix=<set_by_sysadmin> --with-sitedir=<somepath> --dont-install-sitedir
  make & make install

Does such a solution exist?  I don/'t particularly mind installing to
a bogus path but I would need a way to permanently modify $: for
the installed ruby application. Is there a way to do this after
it is compiled?

Thanks
--
Jim Freeze
If only I had something clever to say for my comment...