Leon Torres graced us by uttering:

[ snip ]

> On a similar note, does anyone have a reference to getting X terminals
> to display Japanese characters? I've not had much luck in this field.
> A simple overview of the problems and solutions would rock. There are
> some Ruby programs that have notes written in Japanese and I'd very
> much like to read them. :)
>
> I'm on Debian.

On SuSE 7.3 with a custom build of both the latest Eterm and w3m,
Japanese kana and kanji are displayed just fine. It just depends on the
encoding of the characters and the availability of fonts.

....of course, I moved to SuSE from Mandrake because Mandrake's int'l
support was so often broken...

No experience with Debian.

Tim Hammerquist
--
I might be able to shoehorn a reference count in on top of the numeric
value by disallowing multiple references on scalars with a numeric value,