At Sun, 21 Jul 2002 19:31:39 +0900,
Leon Torres wrote:
> On a similar note, does anyone have a reference to getting X terminals to
> display Japanese characters? I've not had much luck in this field. A
> simple overview of the problems and solutions would rock. There are some
> Ruby programs that have notes written in Japanese and I'd very  much like
> to read them. :)
>
> I'm on Debian.

Almost all basic tools to read/write Japanese are included in
`task-japanese' package.  In the dependency list, you would find also
`kterm', a very populer xterm-like multilingual terminal emulator in
Japan.  http://packages.debian.org/stable/misc/task-japanese.html

And afaik many Japanese rubyist use a web browser `w3m' on terminal
emulators.  w3m can render tables, frames and images on kterm.
http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/w3mmee-img.html

I often use like

  % rd2 cgi.rb | w3m

to read RD document in a Ruby script, then type v on w3m to switch
HTML source/formatted views.

-- Gotoken