At 5:22 AM +0900 7/21/02, Phil Tomson wrote:
>In article <a05111b05b95de4b58e30@[63.120.19.221]>,
>Dan Sugalski  <dan / sidhe.org> wrote:
>>At 10:35 PM +0900 7/19/02, James F.Hranicky wrote:
>>>While people are kicking around ideas for new backends for Ruby,
>>>does anyone think that a backend could be written for Ruby that
>>>uses the Objective C (GnuStep, Cocoa) runtime libraries? Or even
>>>just a translator from Ruby to ObjC ?
>>>
>>>Seems that the languages are simliar in many respects, and it seems
>>>like ObjC, being a superset of C, would make a good backend if it's
>>>possible (threads, performance, etc).
>>
>>You'd have a heck of a time with continuations, unfortunately.
>  >Otherwise it should  be reasonably doable.
>
>Well, in the current Ruby implementation continuations are implemented
>with C code, why couldn't they be implemented in ObjectiveC?

I was looking at the translator aspect, translating Ruby to
Objective-C. That was the part that was the real non-starter,
courtesy of continuations. (I've got a paper or two kicking around
about some of the interesting things that the Scheme folks had to do
to get continuations going with what's essentially a C environment.
It's... interesting)

Certainly the interpreter could be done in Objective C. That part's
no big deal since objective C's pretty much a superset of C so ruby
right now is more or less an Objective C app.
--
                                         Dan

dan / sidhe.org                         have teddy bears and even
                                       teddy bears get drunk