Inspired to learn to read Japanese due to a lot of information on Ruby being
in Japanese, I bought a book recently (Read Japanese Today).  Its a great
book, introducing the origin of the pictographs and how they relate to the
current ones.

Anyway, I wanted to know if there were good web sites for learning Japanese.
Specifically reading it.  A comprehensive list of pictographs, their
meanings etc.  Maybe also a place where you can convert the pictograph to
English and back?

TIA,

John.

(I decided to ask this here in case other people in this group had a similar
desire).