"Pit Capitain" <pit / capitain.de> wrote in message news:<3D37E786.27741.191E7AE5 / localhost>...
> On 19 Jul 2002, at 17:00, Avi Bryant wrote:
>
> > This is a really cool, clean approach (...)
>
> Doesn't Iowa have a similar approach? How would you compare
> both?

Similar, yes, although a comparison is difficult because Iowa is
bidirectional (data goes from your model out to the template, through
an HTTP response/request cycle, and the back to your model), which
complicates things a lot.

The two main differences in terms of templating are that Iowa's
bindings are a flat namespace whereas Amrita uses hierarchy, and that
Iowa has a lot of back and forth interaction between the template and
the model, whereas Amrita takes a more pipelined approach - once the
data tree is built, that's all the template refers to.  This
simplifies iteration logic in particular.

What would be interesting to me would be an Amrita like system that
introduced Iowa's bidirectionality by storing blocks inside the data
tree.  Particularly if combined with call/cc based session management.