That's the big problem with this approach, I think (I don't know COM, but
I'm guessing it doesn't work on *nix).

One other problem.  Spreadsheets created by WriteExcel cannot be parsed by
ParseExcel.  That may be something to consider dealing with from the start
for anyone considering a port.

Regards,

Dan