On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 06:58:50AM +0900, John wrote:
> My thought was that you could have aliases for methods as well as having
> shorter versions:
>
> [ls|dir|directory]

Pass input handling like this over to libreadline.  You'll have
almost what you want at the expense of pressing a key (tab),
in a way that users are probably much more used to, and
ambiguities will be taken care of automatically.  Plus you'll
have command history, which surely does not hurt. :-)

If you are interested in providing command line interfaces
for your applications, have a look at my `cliff' module and
`ecalc' example program in the rpkg repository
(http://www.allruby.com/rpkg).  If you don't want to install
rpkg, just tell me and I'll make a .tar.gz for cliff.

Massimiliano