Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> > > Easy installation which works "out of the box", system integration
> > > (with nice icons! ;>), nice HTML documentation.
> >
> > Could you elaborate some more, so we can work on these features. In
> > the current installer, what would need to be done to make it work out
> > of the box?
>
> Hey hey hey wait a second. Installer? Which installer? Oops! I didn't
> know about any such thing! Where can I get it?
>
> > We also distribute Programming Ruby in the installation as
> > a .chm file: would straight html be better?
>
> IMO yes. HTML works everywhere, even on older systems (Win95 anyone?)
> which have no support for .chm help files. Also, one can use its
> favourite browser, not necessarily IE (do you know how many people
> are trying to ditch IE and can't because of this?)

Ok, I got the installer and now I have Ruby (1.6.6) finally on my
system :). Goodie. Now for the comments:

Would it be possible to install the non-strictly-Ruby stuff in other
directories? I have a \langs\ folder on the root on my boot drive,
under which there is a subfolder for each scripting language (one for
perl, one for python, one for ruby, one for tcl, etc). Assuming that
I didn't have tcl installed, I might have wnated to install tcl from
the ruby package, but then I would have liked to put it in its own
folder, not under ruby.

Re. the problem with MS compilers and multithreading, would mingw32
solve the problem?

And of course we want the most recent Ruby ;)

For the help packaging, I still suggest plain HTML rather than .chm
files --this could be shared with a possible non-Windows version of
Ruby (if a parallel installer for unices is in the works).

Finally, I wonder if some form of semi-automatic package installation
is feasible. (Active)Perl has ppm and CPAN; Python has the Vault;
does Ruby have a CRAN? Can it be made accessible with some tool that
downloads and install packages (on request)?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Axiom I of the Giuseppe Bilotta
theory of IT: