Aleksi Niemel? <aleksi.niemela / cinnober.com> writes:

> RubyUnit assertions should be added to object too (on request), so
> instead of

Firstly, I appreciate the 'on request' part of this--I personally
wouldn't want this behavior, so I like the fact you're suggesting
making it optional. Let me tell you _why_ I wouldn't use it, and
perhaps you might think twice too.

When you test something, one of the unwritten rules is that you modify
it as little as possible--any change may modify the behavior of the
thing under test, so that when the tests are removed, it fails (or at
least acts differently).

By adding 10 or so methods to Object, you're changing potential
behavior of every single object in the system. This is a fairly big
step to take, so I personally would avoid doing it.

On a less pedantic note, I also think it's easier to see tests in the
code if they're written as

     assert_equal(99, i)

rather than

     i.assert_equal(99)