--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:41:55PM +0900, Christoph wrote:

> The problem is that some Enumerable classes like the Hash class or
> a Set class (see for example rough/lib/set.rb - OT I am not sure why
> this implementation doesn't include Comparable)  don't know the
> about the idea of multiple occurrences consequently you would
> optimize #count to
>
> def count(c)
>       each {|e| return 1 if  e == c }
>       return 0
> end
>
> which is sort of an indication (to me) that #count doesn't really into
> Enumerable ...

Considering Enumerables like Set or Hash as a degenerated Enumerable I
find #count makes sense in Enumberable. Hash or Set can easily provide
optimized versions of #count. It like find for a sorted list which can
Mixin Enumerable and nevertheless have an optimized implementation of
#min and #max

-billy.

--
Meisterbohne       SŲślinger Stra›∆ 100          Tel: +49-731-399 499-0
   eLungen       89077 Ulm                     Fax: +49-731-399 499-9

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5--