"Tom Sawyer"  wrote in
> i went to count the number of equal objects in an array and discoverd
> there was no #count. that was odd, i thought, there's one for string.
> but then it occured to me, #count would be in Enumberable. but no. it is
> not. hey! why not?

I guess I would write #count (not sure if this is such a descriptive
name) as

class Array
    def count() uniq.size end
end

Thinking about it, there is seems to be a good argument to move
#uniq, with possible addition of #count (as I said I don't like
that name), from the Array class to the Enumerable module
since the uniq algorithm (of class Array)

module Enumerable
    def uniq
        hsh = {}
        each {|e| hsh[e] = true }