Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:04438] Re: Real world performance problems"
    on 00/08/11, "Hal E. Fulton" <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> writes:

|Is it theoretically possible to load a module with a different garbage
|collector
|in it, to replace the old one? Is GC modularity like that possible in theory
|(or
|is it even possible now, if someone wrote a new GC)?

I doubt it.  Switching GC is very hard.  I have no idea how to
implement a module with its own GC.

|Maybe different apps might call for different techniques, that's what I'm
|thinking.
|But I have no theoretical background in memory management.

I think GC can be adaptive enough to support various situation.

|Matz, what is the overall Ruby scehdule like? I am not trying to rush you or
|hold you
|to a schedule, as if I could... I am just wondering, in general, how long is
|the gap in
|time between minor releases, e.g., 1.5 to 1.6, 1.6 to 1.7, and so on. I've
|only been
|into Ruby since late 1999. :)

1.6.0 will be released very soon.  The development of version 1.7 will
be started immediately after the 1.6.0 release.  The releases after
that is not fixed at all.  FYI, here's the past release history.

  1993/02	development start
  1995/12	the first public release (0.95)
  1996/12	version 1.0
  1997/08	version 1.1