Hi,

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, [iso-8859-1] Aleksi Niemelwrote:
>
> > Me:
> > Hugh:
> > > Testing needs to be done, how this is done is another matter.
> > > Should there be peer review for submissions to the archive?
>
> Yes.  This was also intended to improve quality of the software, and that
> others may be able to spot things that should have been tested but were
> not.  Future test suites would then improve.
>
> I was thinking more of: "I threw this together and haven't bothered to
> make any attempt to prove it works.  Can it be put it the archive so
> people can benefit from it?", to which the answer should be "No."

Given that we seem to have a problem with *too-few* submissions of
otherwise worthwhile things that people are seeking to find by other
means, I presently strongly prefer that the Galactic Ruby Archive
Network Directory (GRAND) be subdivided into quality levels ranging from
"production-level; top quality assured" to "for what it's worth; this is
as far as I got", with intermediate sorts of alpha and beta level items.

I think that the GRAND aim should to cater to all levels of users and
all levels of interest--although I also think it should by default do so
in such a way the the great and the good stuff is always in the
forefront.

In other words, instead of a blanket exclusion policy that allows only
stores with high-end products (metaphorically speaking) to be located in
GRAND, I think some sort of zoning policy that allowed for 2-nd tier
development and even scrap yards (located well off the main avenues)
would also be useful. Of course this will bring in a certain amount of
junk, but if it's not in your face, so what? It's not wise to exclude
the typically larger numbers of modest contributions to be made,
especially since that increases the contributor's incentive to promote
Ruby, and may motivate some fraction of such contributors to advance to
the stage where they can become major contributors years down the road.

--
Conrad Schneiker