> Masato Kiyama at Hiroshima City University implemented generational GC
> for Ruby.  In the technical report he wrote, it cuts 86% of collection
> time at most.  I guess it will eventually be merged into the future
> release.
>
> matz.

Very interesting.

Here is a random question. Maybe there is some good reason it's a stupid
question, but that is how we learn, no?

Is it theoretically possible to load a module with a different garbage
collector
in it, to replace the old one? Is GC modularity like that possible in theory
(or
is it even possible now, if someone wrote a new GC)?

Maybe different apps might call for different techniques, that's what I'm
thinking.
But I have no theoretical background in memory management.

A side issue:

Matz, what is the overall Ruby scehdule like? I am not trying to rush you or
hold you
to a schedule, as if I could... I am just wondering, in general, how long is
the gap in
time between minor releases, e.g., 1.5 to 1.6, 1.6 to 1.7, and so on. I've
only been
into Ruby since late 1999. :)

Thanks,
Hal