dossy,

considering i've just spent 4 hrs trying to get my javascript to
reposition the html page after a submit, i think i'm ready to make that
gui now! granted, i ALMOST got it to work --it scrolls down to where i
want, but now my button won't actually submit the form anymore. and
personally i'm very tired of adding non-POLS code on top of non-POLS
code just to make the dumbest little thing happen. so....

opengl forms gui, well, i'm thinking along these lines: a basic set of
objects including a container pane which can have optional scrollbars
attached to it, a table object which can have spanning cols and rows,
each cell of which is a pane, and your basic set of form objects: text,
text input (single and multiline), checkbox, radio buttons, dropdown,
combobox, multiple selection list, regular button, and perhaps a knob
and a tree, and an input grid. i think that would be enough. i don't
want to over complicate the matter.

now at first i'd be happy even if these things were very boring.
rectangular with only the most basic properties. later they could be
expanded to the applicable extent any of them may partake of in a 3d
environment. for example, if we conceptionalize a pane, which contains
these other elements, as a mere surface. that surface can be mapped to
objects. so for instance we could have a text input wraped around a
sphere, etc. i'm sure there are many more such notions that can be
dreamed up in this fashion.

one of the things i would like to see is a sort of instant feedback with
the code, unlike other guis that require a final method that passes off
control. know what i mean? so if i were to say textBox.text = "Dossy",
for instance, "Dossy" would immediatly appear. for a delayed, all at
once, type of construction we could have a transaction model, if such a
thing proved useful.

finally, although this can come after the primary library is contructed,
i'd want to create a meta-language, essentially the one miter uses now:
my ascii pictoral templates, along with style-sheets to define more
detailed and elaborate characteristics. obviosly any template/style
mechinism will be more limited then direct coding, but that is just the
kind of tool general applications need.

what do you think? suggestions?

~transami

--