On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Tom Sawyer wrote:

> can any one give me some help installing the opengl interface library? i
> downloaded it and ran the extconf.rb script which created the makefile,
> i think next i type make? but it complains that it can't find GL/glut.h.
> i'm running debian, and i did apt-get install mesag3 and apt-get source
> mesag3 already, as i thought i would need to. help?

Debian library packages are often split into a user library and a
development library.  Did you see mesag3-dev or something like that in
the package list (/var/lib/dpkg/available)?  Then, that's what needs to
be installed.  Sorry, I can't make sure myself because I don't have my
debian box here with me now.

> but then i though, why hasn't any one created a forms gui kit using
> purely open gl? and so decided i might look into it. hence my first
> question.

Makes me wonder.  Do you intend to make a fully 3D GUI toolkit?
I've seen / heard of ones under research, but they are in general
not usable without a 3D input device.
If you only need the 3D look of GUI toolkit (like, what they call
3D Widgets), OpenGL might be an overkill.

koji