I'd say the distributed package should contain all necessary instructions
and pointers. I don't know if it's too much to ask, but as you learn things
now, could you mark down all what you've found out and what's missing from
the docs.

That list could be the basis (or the complete solution) for the better docs.

Particularly for RubyUnit I'd do this, but I've noticed that it works best
when you don't know anything about the thing, as you don't have to pretend
"asking stupid questions". At least, I don't have to :). Anyway, I know
something about RubyUnit framework so it's not working for me anymore.

Well, here's something to get you started. I assume you have installed
RubyUnit.

For each tested component (be it one file, one class, one method, the whole
system...) I create one file test_foo.rb.

The basic content in it is like this:

require "runit/testcase"
require "foo"

class Test_Foo < RUNIT::TestCase
  # setup is called for each test, to provide, well, fresh setup :)
  def setup
    @foo_has = TheSetup.new("for each test, don't use if you don't need it")
  end
  # test's are like this, they have to start with "test_"
  # I continue with test number, to get them executed in some order
  def test_01_constructor
    # this test actually does not use what setup provides already
    foo = Foo.new
    assert_equal("foo", foo.foo)   # expect foo.foo to return "foo"
  end

  def test_02_bar
    @foo.bar   # uses what's setupped
    assert( @foo.bar == nil )      # assert call to the object bar returns
                                   # method == with parameter nil
                                   # returns something evaluating true

if $0 == __FILE__
  # here's my small driver to make this file runnable, thus self-standing
test
  require 'runit/cui/testrunner'
  require 'runit/testsuite'
  runner = RUNIT::CUI::TestRunner.new

  # here you say what you want to test
  runner.run RUNIT::TestSuite.new(Test_Foo)
end

################3

Look RubyUnit examples and assert.rb through to see what you can do and
assert.

Study these URLs a little.

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?UnitTests

c2.com's pages at wiki at not bad to read completely!

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestingFramework

Other implementations (and variations and examples). Notable Ruby is missing
:(.

http://www.xprogramming.com/software.htm

Other implementations, notable Ruby is present.

http://www.xprogramming.com/testfram.htm

The Kent Beck's page explaining the framework. It's in smalltalk, so Ruby
one was a little bit easier to me, but I'd say this is the authorative :).

	- Aleksi