Conrad Schneiker <schneik / austin.ibm.com> writes:

> Conrad Schneiker wrote:
>
> > (1) Is there anything about Perl5 that would have precluded it from
> > using Ruby's (C-language API) extension scheme (assuming the developers
> > had known about it at the time, and so on)?
>
> Maybe part 2 scared everyone off. Can anyone answer this part (or at
> least make an educated guess)?

I guess I was confused by the question. What part of Ruby's extension
scheme would be useful. Ruby has mkmf, Perl has MakeMaker, Ruby has
it's API, while Perl has a different (more baroque) one. Although it
would be good to see the Ruby API spread (as it's far, far easier to
code to), that would basically mean writing Perl's internals as if it
was Ruby.

Or am I (twice in one day) misunderstanding the issues?

Densely

Dave