Hi,

In message "Re: String#split converts string args to regexes -- ?"
    on 02/07/09, Stepan Kasal <kasal / matsrv.math.cas.cz> writes:

|Thus I think either split() should be changed in a fairly restrictive manner
|(accept only one-char strings or Regexp) or gsub should not automatically
|convert strings to regexps.  I vote for the later alternative.

sub/gsub

 (a) prohibit string pattern
 (b) string patterns as strings, without converting into regex.

split

 (c) prohibit string pattern longer than 1.
 (d) string patterns as strings, without converting into regex.

The meaningful consistent combination must be a-c and b-d.  Which do
you prefer?

							matz.