On Monday 08 July 2002 05:20 am, Kontra, Gergely wrote:

> I'm still missing how can I send a program to my friend, who
> doesn't have and doesn't want to install ruby.
> So I need a mechanism to pack things into a single directory, which
> can run on a windows NT/98/2k or linux.

Wouldn't this work:

Put the executable(s) and required .dll/.so files into that directory.

Put your program and any Ruby modules into that directory (you could
use a subdirectory for the Ruby modules)

Have a:

.cmd file for WinNT/2K/XP
.bat file for Win9x
shell script marked as executable for Linux

that sets RUBYLIB appropriately (though it may be easier to modify $:
in your Ruby program) and launches Ruby on your program.

This could all be zipped up together using a Zip program that
maintains Unix file mode bits (like the Linux version of Info-Zip's
Zip).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com