On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:13 PM Robert Klemme <shortcutter / googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 6:23 PM, Konstantin Kozhin
> <konstantin / profitco.ru> wrote:
>
> > For ruby (or any other language) development docker is much more
> convenient
> > than virtualbox.
>
> I disagree. IMO installing a Linux in a VM once and then working there
> is much easier than fiddling with Docker, learning all the commands,
> handle registry etc.

You don't have to learn Docker commands - there is a GUI for that called
Kitemati§ă. It is a part of Docker Toolbox.
Starting a docker container is a matter of seconds, installing linux vm
takes minutes. Time saving is worth switching to Docker.

The only one thing there to do with Docker - learn how to build own images
with shared volumes. It will take 1-2 hours (in my case) to read the
official docs.

> > The main problem of using a virtual server is code syncing problem
> between
> > local machine and virtual server.
>
> Not, if you do all the work in the VM. With VirtualBox you can even
> use the seamless mode and have windows from the host and guest on the
> screen.

Working inside VM with GUI (Gnome, KDE, etc.) will eat much more resources
(CPU, memory, etc.) than running a Docker container.

> > With docker it is possible to use local
> > folders inside docker container without all those ftp, sftp, rsync,
> dropbox,
> > etc.
>
> You can mount directories in a VirtualBox guest. That is as easy as
> doing it with Docker.

Agree.

> > In docker containers you may have any os or environment setup you need.
> >
> > I'm running rails apps in debian docker containers under macos x. With
> > docker host os doesn't matter.
>
> That statement is not accurate. If you need specific Linux kernel
> features you need a host that has at least those features required by
> the container. Also, I have yet to see how a Linux container runs on a
> Windows docker host.

For web-development purposes Docker's functionality is quite enough. For
other cases may vary.
As I know, Docker Toolbox for Windows runs on VirtualBox or Hyper-V. Both
of them support linux kernels on Windows.
(supressed text/html)