Well, not sure my opinion is the favored one, but I can point out as a
newbie that the "Hey, use Ruby" flag waivers often. After about half a
dozen times of being told to upgrade Ruby on a large enterprise so that
I was on the latest and greatest I wrote a blog post about why that was
not practical. Whenever someone said "You should upgrade, we don't
support that version any more" I'd point them to the blog post.

The Ruby Core Team (RCT) is probably doing the best they can to keep
things fun and working for the rest of us. I appreciate their effort,
Ruby has brought me a lot of happiness.

However, at least in the US, the majority of enterprise class Linux
servers do not come with a supported Ruby version. Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 6 (RHEL) included Ruby 1.8.7. RHEL 7, the latest, includes Ruby
2.0. Most larger companies are probably still on RHEL 6 though. Which
means that server tools like serverspec can't be used since they require
Ruby 2.x.

My guess is that the RCT has a lot of work to do and the Ruby attraction
of "fun" doesn't always bring in people who can set aside fun for "get
the job done". Python has a much larger user and tool base and it
continues to grow into areas like data science, etc. As a server guy
I've been honest with my team lead and pointed out that Python would be
better for server support teams than Ruby, even though I prefer Ruby.
For compatibility, supportability, and hire-ability the choice is Python.

I spend a lot of time agonizing over this. My goal is to be a better
programmer and Ruby is fun. Yet I can't use Ruby at work as I don't have
enough tools and skill to make it useful. Stuff I write at home has a
user base of one since most of my target market doesn't have Ruby
installed and the learning curve to do so outweighs the usefulness of
the code. So whatever "programmer learning" I do in Ruby will have to be
translated to some other language if I want to quite resetting passwords
and get paid to code.

I've been sort of hoping that the concepts like TDD, git, and basic OOP
translate well. Since I don't know the real market my plans are mostly
hopes.

Leam