It does make you wonder how the Python folks manage it.

-----Original Message-----
From: ruby-talk [mailto:ruby-talk-bounces / ruby-lang.org] On Behalf Of Eric Wong
Sent: 24 May 2017 23:01
To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
Subject: Re: Windows and Ruby?

leam hall <leamhall / gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like the Installer issue has been taken up by some new folks,
> cool. Still, it begs the question, is almost everyone doing Ruby doing
> so on a non-Windows platform like Linux, Mac, or other *nix?

*shrug*  There's still developers working on Windows on ruby-core, but they're a minority.  The problem with proprietary platforms is that ordinary programmers are not allowed to fix problems with the platform itself.  We can't even read the internals to see goes on at the OS level, at least not without dealing with NDAs and legal BS.

With Linux; anyone who can send plain-text email can contribute to the kernel, CCAN, and GNU dependencies (glibc, gcc, gmp, bison, ...)  No NDAs, terms-of-service, or anything to sign(*).

So developers who work on one of these can more easily contribute to other parts when problems present themselves across software project boundaries.  And we (ruby-core) can even study the intricacies of these platforms to make Ruby work best on them.

(*) unfortunately, many GNU projects, including glibc does still
    require copyright assignment :<)

Click here to view Company Information and Confidentiality Notice.<http://www.jameshall.co.uk/index.php/small-print/email-disclaimer>