leam hall <leamhall / gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like the Installer issue has been taken up by some new folks,
> cool. Still, it begs the question, is almost everyone doing Ruby doing so
> on a non-Windows platform like Linux, Mac, or other *nix?

*shrug*  There's still developers working on Windows on
ruby-core, but they're a minority.  The problem with proprietary
platforms is that ordinary programmers are not allowed to fix
problems with the platform itself.  We can't even read the
internals to see goes on at the OS level, at least not without
dealing with NDAs and legal BS.

With Linux; anyone who can send plain-text email can contribute
to the kernel, CCAN, and GNU dependencies (glibc, gcc, gmp,
bison, ...)  No NDAs, terms-of-service, or anything to sign(*).

So developers who work on one of these can more easily
contribute to other parts when problems present themselves
across software project boundaries.  And we (ruby-core) can even
study the intricacies of these platforms to make Ruby work
best on them.

(*) unfortunately, many GNU projects, including glibc does still
    require copyright assignment :<)