The Ruby documentation has always been a bit coy about this.  Can anyone po=
int me to something that says exactly what I should be installing beforehan=
d to get the best out of the language?

From memory / looking at the output of ./configure and guessing, I have:

* readline (is this still a thing? I don't see it in the configure output)
* dot (I have no idea what this is)
* dtrace (does this only work with the Oracle product?)
* doxygen (presumably I don't need this unless debugging Ruby)

Although what actual packages I need for these is pretty hit and miss as fa=
r as I am concerned.

Click here to view Company Information and Confidentiality Notice.<http://w=
ww.jameshall.co.uk/index.php/small-print/email-disclaimer>
(supressed text/html)