On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 16:23, Jim Weirich wrote:
> I think that's part of the problem.  Everyone is coming into this with
> their own preconceptions of strings and arrays, and they aren't
> matching.

indeed, they arn't matching. and it would be nice if we could come to a
general agreement about it. this all started with the notion that the
String#each method (and related methods) did not keep with POLS, unlike
the Array. so the comparison was drawn.

> Really?  I tend to deal with arrays element by element.  With strings,
> I usually deal with chunks (i.e. slices) or the entire thing at once.
> I usually don't equate a string with an array of characters.  They are
> different animals in my mind.

while i agree with you that typically array's are delt with element by
element and string are often delt with "chunks" at a time. both can be,
and are, accessed both ways. somtimes you might want a slice of elements
from an array. and sometimes you want each character of a string, which
goes back to the original premise of this thread.

it's silly not to see strings for what they are: an ordered list of
characters. granted, one often deals with them on a higher level, but
nonetheless that is what they are at root. in contrast, an array is an
ordered list of objects. thus, in so far as they are both ordered lists,
they should share the same methods. that's basic POLS, and would mean
String#each should return the character, not the bytecode.

~transami

--
~transami

	-- Benjamin Franklin