    Sean> Michael Campbell wrote:
    >> I don't think that "ordered set of characters" implies "Array".

    Sean> I don't know of a better definition of "Array" than "an
    Sean> ordered set of somethings".

Technically, arrays aren't sets.  An element may appear in an array
more than once.

    Sean> Linked lists are also ordered sets of somethings; arrays
    Sean> just have a particular customary implementation in
    Sean> computers.  Still, people tend to deal with strings the same
    Sean> way they deal with arrays, as opposed to linked lists.

Really?  I tend to deal with arrays element by element.  With strings,
I usually deal with chunks (i.e. slices) or the entire thing at once.
I usually don't equate a string with an array of characters.  They are
different animals in my mind.

I think that's part of the problem.  Everyone is coming into this with
their own preconceptions of strings and arrays, and they aren't
matching.