okay, i grant you i write code very differently then most others. at
least that has been my experience. i gerneally tend to hack something
out and then go over it and over and over it again trying to reduce
every little ounce of code reuse out of it that i can. i think if you
saw some on my work you'd be very suprised at how little code there is
and yet how much it does. so, when you appoach things in this way and
you have a class inheritiing a class inherting a class and so on and
those classes create other classes, to seperate logic from interface,
for example, it has been my experience that child classes need to "talk"
to their parents.

i can provide some examples, but it won't be a tiny piece of code to
easily paste in an email.

and i think Michael, here, makes a good point: "I've passed self
before, but I can't ever remember thinking it was a good idea."

that's really where i'm coming from too. for i don't feel comfortable
with passing self really. so either i'm not writing my code in the best
manner or there really is a good reason to have this connection between
the container and contained. adn yet i've i gone over some of my code
angain and again. i it always seems the most effective means: passing
self.

perhaps i should just feel comfortable with passing self. that's fine.
i'm not trying to push this or anything. i was curious to see what
others thought. really, this conversation has me wondering what others
might thing of my code.

~transami