Looks to me like an array of arrays, which makes me think that it's
indicating 2 to the 3 power. I'm on my phone, so i can't confirm, but the
documentation seems to indicate as much.

I would expect, for example, that 40.prime_division is [[2,3],[5,1]].

I would have see the code you're using to really know...
https://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.9.3/libdoc/prime/rdoc/Prime.html#method-i-prime_division
(shows prime1, exponent 1, etc)

-James

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016, 17:37 Micky Scandal <mickyscandal / gmail.com> wrote:

> so I was just working on an exorcize using the Prime module and on one
> test out of like 50 I was getting an error, so after some digging around I
> found this:
>
> irb(main):001:0> require 'prime'
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> 8.prime_division
> => [[2, 3]]
>

> that should be the factors of 8, but unless I'm totally out of my mind and
> my math is WAY worse than I thought, I don't think 3 is a factor of 5.
> pretty sure that should be 4.
> every other number I tried ranging from single digit numbers to numbers up
> to the millions worked just fine, it was just that 8 being all wonky.
> anyone run across this before? is there some logical explanation as to why
> I would get a 3 there? or is this just a bug I should go report to....
> wherever you report ruby bugs to?
>
> Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request / ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>

(supressed text/html)