On 5 December 2016 at 07:07, Micky Scandal <mickyscandal / gmail.com> wrote:

> huh... it looks like I was confusing myself and doing way more work than I
> need to again. when it said the first number less than... i took that to
> mean the first number chronologically not the first number from left to
> right. but I suppose that does make sense. thanks for clarifying that for
> me, and sorry for the confusion

If it helps keep these sort of things clear:

An array (even outside of programming) is "a systematic or ordered
arrangement of similar objects." In programming 'systematic' and 'ordered'
mean pretty much the same thing, and with all ordered collections, "first"
always means "first according to the *order* of the collection."

It doesn't matter if the ordering is by-index (as an Array), or
by-insertion (as a Hash), or by-smallest-to-largest (if you built a sorting
tree object) or any other system you can think of.

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/