To be honest, I just did some copy paste of that code.
However, even if I change it and put it in a more readable way, I still
get the same results.

I'm starting to think I'll have to dig around in the Ruby and Python
code, and possibly port the Python code to Ruby.

Before I do that, are there any enlightened souls that can explain this
discrepancy?

Regards,
Pedro