On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Hal E. Fulton wrote:

> I'll agree with that. It's good to copy useful language features,
> and not just for making converts.
>
> But it's good to smooth out any bum[p]s that we can. If there's
> no good reason for an idiosyncrasy, I say let it go.
>
> Hal

This is basically what I had in mind.  I thought I had not put it quite
right when I wrote '"least surprise for Perlists" is a good idea', but I
thought from the context of my earlier message this would be clear.  I
would have written it to rewind the DATA stream to the start of DATA, not
the start of the file, but I see the merit of making it behave like Perl,
and of course if Perl changes then the case for current behaviour is
weakened.  But I'm less inclined to shout for change than I was
originally.

	Hugh
	hgs / dmu.ac.uk