On Thu, Nov 24, 2016, Micky Scandal wrote:
> > It is unlikely that you have used "curses", because it is something ancient
> > and abandoned.
> >

> Oh, maybe that is the case. I just went back to look, and this is the
> original gem I used that I was thinking was curses:
>   https://rubygems.org/gems/curses
> but it does mention ncurses in the description. but the thing that still
> has me confused is, what's actually labelled as ncurses(ncursesw or
> ffi-ncurses) has different methods than the first one. there's definitely a
> lot more in ncurses but even basic stuff like Curses.init_scrren is
> different.

I think an important point that has been overlooked in this conversation
is that, like many gems, the (n)curses gems are bindings to established
C-based libraries. That's what curses and ncurses were before anyone
wrote code to work with them in Ruby. Sometimes the Ruby ecosystem ends
up with multiple interfaces to the same C library.

> That's why I thought I was using the old one. so if the first
> one is actually ncurses why do they have different methods? don't get me
> wrong, the differences are minor. like curses uses init_screen and ncursesw
> uses initscr. are they just different peoples own versions based off the
> original or something? if that's the case then is there a specific version
> people would recommend? I'm using ncursesw now since it has the most
> downloads by more than 100,000

> Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request / ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>

        Eric Christopherson