You can just run 'man ncurses', it has much useful information

Here is a quote from there:

The  ncurses library emulates the curses library of System V Release 4 UNIX, and
XPG4 (X/Open Portability Guide) curses (also known as XSI curses).  XSI stands
for X/Open System Interfaces Extension.  The ncurses library is freely
redistributable  in source  form.   Differences  from  the  SVr4  curses  are
summarized under the EXTENSIONS and PORTABILITY sections below and described in
detail in the respective EXTENSIONS, PORTABILITY and BUGS sections of individual
man pages.