> > In the first place, POLS is a Matz-centric phenomenon
> > (as he has admitted). The more you think like Matz,
> > the better you will understand Ruby.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but I've heard of
> the "POLA" (A = astonishment) since the mid/late 80's.  I had assumed
> POLS came from that.

Oh, yes, that's true. I didn't mean that the
idea originated with him.

(BTW, I first heard it in _The Tao of Programming_,
around '86... do you know an earlier reference?)

I just meant that, according to Matz, when POLS is
applied to Ruby, the standard is HIS surprise, not
anyone else's. He got a laugh at RubyConf2001 when
he said, "'Least Surprise' means 'Least Surprise
for Me.'"

Hal Fulton