I should really do some more poking around before I ask a question. I made
another small script just to test something. I got Thread.kill to work (is
fork something different? because I used Thread.new this time and that
responded to kill) but mpg123 still continued to run after the script. so
short answer, killing the thread won't stop the song, so....what will!?

(supressed text/html)